Opening the Admin app
There are a variety of features available to you in the Admin app. The following describes the most important features for use with ThinPrint. You can find more information in the ScriptRunner online help. Open the help via the action bar (arrow).
Note! In the first version of the Admin app for ScriptRunner for ThinPrint, when the language is changed to German, only the ScriptRunner-components are translated into German. The ThinPrint components, such as the names of the actions and the descriptions within the actions for example, are in English. When you switch to German in the Delegation app, however, all components are displayed in German.
Configuring ScriptRunner for ThinPrint is carried out in basically three steps (described below):
- Setting the roles for users or groups (Delegation).
- Creating actions for these users or groups (Actions).
You will find an overview of all predefined actions (below). Depending on the purchased package, you can also create your own actions. There are a range of scripts available for this purpose. You can also use your own scripts. You will also get a short overview of further options.
In the 30-day trial version, all 15 actions are available to you. Afterwards, the number of promotions depends on the bundle purchased:
- bundle: actions 1-5
- bundle: actions 1-10
- bundle: actions 1-15
- Create new printer(s)
- Enable driver free printing (V-Layer)
- Disable driver free printing (V-Layer)
- Remove printer(s)
- Create new ThinPrint Port(s)
- Install new driver
- Create printers via CSV file
- Change printer properties
- Remove print job
- Free Action
- Query number of print jobs
- Query number of printers
- Free Action
- Free Action
- Free Action
Defining roles (Delegation)
First add service desk users, end users, administrator groups or individual administrators to the console. This will let you set the permissions for the individual users or groups later in the Actions.
- In the left column, select the menu item Delegation.
- Then click on Create in the action bar (arrow).
- Now select the desired role.
- Assign a display name. You can also add a description and select a group color.
- Now select the authorization method (for example Active Directory) and enter the name of the AD group and the domain. Now click on Verify and then on OK.
You will now find the newly created role in the overview.
You can then later select the admin group in an action that you want to delegate to that group.
Entering print server and admin account
Entering print servers in the queries
Next enter your print server(s) (Agent(s)) in the preinstalled ThinPrint Server. This query is a component of all preinstalled actions.
- In the left column, select the menu item Queries.
- Now select the query ThinPrint Server (upper arrow).
- Then click on Edit in the action bar (lower arrow).
- Enter the server addresses of the print servers into the list. To do so, change the existing entries (upper arrow) and, if needed, click on the plus button to insert further entries (lower arrow).
Entering admin account under Credentials
This account is required to access the ScriptRunner server and print server(s) when you delegate the action to other users/admins.
- In the left column, select the menu item Credentials.
- Select the ThinPrint Account (upper arrow) and then click on Edit (lower arrow).
- Now enter the login data for an account that has at least local Admin rights on the Scriptrunner server, as well as local Admin rights on the print servers (arrow).
- Select the menu item Actions in the left column.
- Now select one of the preinstalled actions (upper arrow) and then click on Edit in the action bar (lower arrow).
For the following example, the action Remove printer(s) has been selected.
Edit the action as follows:
Note! The preinstalled actions are set up in such a way that they are ready to with no further configuration. Only the server name (FQDN) of the server on which ScriptRunner was installed needs to be entered. Additionally, for the Add printer action, a template server can optionally be added.
The default values can be changed if required:
- If certain parameters ought not to be altered later by the user/admin, check the checkbox Do not display parameters on the input form. These parameters will then be grayed out for the user/admin (upper arrow).
- Some parameters are linked to a Query. For example, all preinstalled actions contain a Query with the list of all ThinPrint servers. Therefore, the ThinPrint servers must be entered in the query beforehand (see Entering print server and admin account, above). Then the user/admin can select a server from the list later in the Delegation App.
- If you create actions yourself and want to link them to a query, click on the orange icon (middle arrow). The desired query element can then be selected from the list.
- You can then additionally specify whether the user/admin is permitted to edit the selected values (lower arrow).
In addition to the parameters in an action, it must at least be specified to whom the action should be delegated. To do this, switch to the last window inside an action (arrow).
- Select here which users/admins should use the script (lower arrow). Users/admins must have been added beforehand under Delegation.
- Place a cross in the checkbox For this action at start up, if the user/admin should enter a reason for the script to be run (upper arrow).
- Specify a tab and a color (middle arrow) for the display in the user portal.
Changing other settings (optional)
In the first window you can change the display name of the action, create and/or add tags and add a description.
- No changes need to be made in the Target window (see below). The predefined Local ThinPrint Host can be used here.
For preinstalled actions, such as Remove printer in the example, no changes need to be made to the PowerShell output and execution options. Preinstalled scripts are used here also.
In the next window you can configure the options for results and notifications.
- In the next step, create a schedule for the execution of your script.
Executing an action
If a fully configured action is to be executed by a user/admin who is specified in the action to do so (see above), the Delegate app must be used.
If you want to execute the action yourself, highlight the action in the overview (upper arrow) and then click on Execute in action bar (lower arrow).
The following will give you an overview of all the available scripts. The scripts are available in both German and English. You can use these scripts to create your own actions.
The scripts are located on your server under C:\ProgramData\ScriptRunner\ScriptMgr. This path is also displayed in the settings. You can also store other scripts there.
|Adding printer drivers
|Adding printer objects
|Adding printer objects via CSV file
|Get the number of printers
|Get the number of print jobs
|Removing printer objects
|Removing print jobs
|Setting printer properties
|Query the non-V-Layer printers from different print servers
Query the printer drivers
|Query the printer drivers from different print servers
|Query the printer objects
|Query the printer objects from different print servers
|Query the print jobs
|Query the TPOG printer from different print servers
|Query the ThinPrint printer ports from different print servers
Furthermore you will find some library scripts here.
There are a range of further options available, which are described briefly in the following. You can find more information on these in the ScriptRunner help. Open the help with the button in the action bar.
- In the left column, select the menu item Queries.
A description of how to edit the preconfigured query ThinPrint Servers can be found in the Entering print server and admin account section (above). For all other preinstalled queries, no changes need to be made. The queries are part of the pre-installed actions.
In the Remove printer(s) action used in our example, the parameter $PrinterName is also provided with a preinstalled Query. This query retrieves all the printer objects present on the print server (Agent) and lists them. Thus, the user/admin can later select and delete the printer objects from the list.
The target systems have already been preconfigured. No changes need to be made here. Always use the Local ThinPrint Host in your Actions (upper arrow). If required, you can change the credentials for direct, local execution on the ScriptRunner server.
- To do this, click on Edit in the action bar (lower arrow).
- Overwrite the default value if required (arrow).
Here you can edit the login data for ScriptRunner for ThinPrint and create additional accounts. You will find a description of how to edit the preconfigured ThinPrint Account here. in the Entering print server and admin account section (above).
- You can also click on Create in the action bar to create a new account.
- Then specify a display name and enter a user name and password.
This option is not required for preinstalled actions.
You will get an overview here of your license status, tag settings and the path to the ScriptRunner library. You can also store your internal support information here. This information is displayed as support data to the users of the Delegate app.