To install the tracking database, please follow the steps below:
- Copy Setup.exe onto the SQL server and open it.
- Select the desired language→ InstallShield Wizard opens and click Next
- Select the SQL server, on which you wish to install the Tracking database.
- Then specify how do you wish to access the database:
- Windows authentication
- SQL server authentication
- Windows authentication
- Confirm with Next.
- Choose a name for the database in which the information about print jobs will be stored: tptrack1 for example.
- In case of a software update, you can select an existing database by clicking on the button Browse. Confirm with Next.
Selecting authentication mode for the users
Authentication mode defines how the users and Tracking Service access the stored print data via Tracking Report Engine.
Note! SQL server authentication is recommended.
SQL server Authentication
- Create an account with administration permissions, TrackingService for example or specify an existing one.
- Confirm with Next and close InstallShield Wizard with Finish.
If you select Windows authentication all users and servers need to be members of the same domain. Users can log on with their user name and their domain password.
- Select Windows authentication and confirm with Next.
You can select user groups from the Active Directory which should be able to access Tracking Database. For this, click Advanced, if necessary.
During installation of Tracking database, database administrators with read and write permissions will be created, as well as users with read permissions only.
Finally, conclude Tracking database installation in InstallShield Wizard with Install and Finish.
Managing the Tracking Database
- Open a management tool for the database, as for example Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio. With this tool, you can administer the database created by the installer.
With SQL authentication
When you install Tracking database with SQL authentication, a user account will be created with read permissions on the database. This name of the user account will be TrackingUser.
- To access the SQL server remotely, open SQL Server Configuration Manager and enable the protocols Named Pipes and TCP/IP.
- Then start the SQL Server Browser in the Services folder.
With Windows authentication
To ensure the Tracking Service gets access to the SQL server, open Management Studio Express and enter with a right click on Security and then on New and Login.
- Create a new account according to this sample:
<domain>\<server name of Tracking Service>$
In this example:
- Put a checkmark at the database, which is configured for Tracking – in this example: tptrack1 (upper arrow) – and a checkmark each at db_owner and at TREAdmin (lower arrows).
Now Tracking Service can access the database with Windows authentication.